Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Salomon Torres announces retirement



SALOMON TORRES ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

MILWAUKEE – Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Salomon Torres announced his retirement today.

Torres, 36, was a veteran of 12 Major League seasons spent with San Francisco (1993-95), Seattle (1995-97), Montreal (1997), Pittsburgh (2002-07) and Milwaukee (2008). He owns a career record of 44-58 with a 4.31 ERA and 57 saves in 497 appearances, including 64 starts. He is coming off one of his best seasons in the majors as he went 7-5 with a 3.49 ERA and a career-high 28 saves in 71 relief appearances in 2008.

Torres issued the following statement:

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved who helped make this season a memorable one for me and my family, everyone from the fans to Mark Attanasio to Doug Melvin, the Brewers staff and front office. Milwaukee is a wonderful city with great fans and people. I will always cherish the opportunity I had to play here. While I still have great passion and energy for the game of baseball, I feel that the time has come to redirect that passion and energy to my family and God.”


No comments: